To obtain a Certified Copy of a Minnesota Death Certificate:
If the person died in Minnesota between 01/01/2000 to the present, that death certificate is on a statewide vital statistics system through the Minnesota Department of Health.
If that person died before 01/01/2000 you will need to obtain a certified copy from the county in which they died or the county where they resided at the time of the death.
or contact the Minnesota Department of Health at 651-201-5970.
To obtain a certified copy in person:
1. You may appear in person at any Vital Statistics Department in any County in the State of
Minnesota. (See above). You may call the facility to make sure the name you are looking for is on the State Vital Statistics System.
2. When you arrive you will need to complete a MN Death Certificate Application and present valid
identification such as your driver's license.
3. The fee will be $13.00 for the first copy and $6.00 for each additional copy requested for the
4. See MN Death Certificate Application for persons eligible to obtain a death certificate. This person
must appear in person with valid identification.
To obtain a certified copy by mail:
1. You must complete a MN Death Certificate Application, and sign the form in front of a Notary Public. You will need to show the Notary Public a valid identification such as a driver's license.
2. Send $13.00 for the first copy and $6.00 for each additional copy requested for the same
record. Make check payable to McLeod County Auditor-Treasurer.
3. Send the completed MN Death Certificate Application, and correct dollar amount to:
Attn: License Center
2391 Hennepin Ave N
Glencoe, MN 55336
To Obtain a Non-Certified Copy of a Death Certificate:
For a death occurring before 01/01/2000:
1. Send us the name, date of death and place of death.
2. Make a $13.00 check payable to McLeod County Auditor-Treasurer.
3. Send information and check to:
McLeod County Auditor-Treasurer
2391 Hennepin Avenue North
Glencoe MN 55336