Absentee Voting

If you are not voting in person, you should submit your application by mail or fax at least four days before the election, to ensure adequate mail transit time.
The application and instructions for absentee voters voting through the mail can be found below under downloadable files:


To obtain an absentee ballot through the mail, complete the Absentee Ballot application, and send it to the McLeod County Auditor-Treasurer’s Office. Your ballot will be sent to you when it is ready (as early as 30 days before Election Day).

If you are serving in the armed forces or otherwise living outside the US, you vote based on where you last lived in Minnesota. Your parent, spouse, brother, sister, or adult child can apply for you. Apply early - provide at least two weeks travel time for your ballot to reach you and for you to return it to us.
All absentee ballots must arrive at the McLeod County Auditor-Treasurer’s Office no later than 3:00 p.m. on Election Day.
People who move out of Minnesota within 30 days of a presidential election should look at this information on how to vote in the presidential election.

People permanently unable to go to their polling places may request to be put on a permanent absentee ballot recipient list by completing this form.

The Agent Delivery Designation Form is for people health care facility residents who want someone to handle the transmission of their absentee ballot.

Military Absentee Voting

If you are a Minnesota resident visiting or living abroad, you may vote by absentee ballot. We want to make it as easy as possible for you to vote, even as you are away from home, and we will do everything we can to make sure your vote counts. 

To apply for an absentee ballot you simply fill out the Federal Postcard Ballot Application and mail or fax it to the McLeod County Auditor-Treasurer’s Office.

Note: Your absentee ballot must be received in your precinct by Election Day when the polls close, or it will not be counted. So, apply and send in your ballot early

Note: If you permanently reside outside the United States, you are eligible to vote for Federal offices, including President, US Representative, and US Senate. If you are temporarily outside the US, you are eligible to vote the entire ballot including local offices. 

For more information, you may also call the Department of Defense Federal Voting Assistance Program at 1-800-438-VOTE (8683), or our office at 320-864-1203 or email mcleod.auditor-treasurer@co.mcleod.mn.us . The DOD is the resource for all overseas US citizens.

Downloadable Files:
2020 Absentee Application
Agent Delivery of Absentee Ballots
Federal Post Card Application FPCA
Instructions for Non-Registered Voters
Instructions for Registered Voters
Permanent Absentee Ballot Application
Presidential Absentee Application